PhD Student - Ref.: IOB046
The Institute of Molecular and Clinical Ophthalmology Basel (IOB), an associated institute of the University of Basel, is seeking a highly motivated PhD Student to join the Franke Group, as of 1st of June 2020 at the earliest.
IOB is a research institute combining basic and clinical research. Its mission is to drive innovations in understanding vision and its diseases and develop new therapies for vision loss. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your abilities challenged, and your knowledge expanded.
While we have a general understanding of the neural circuitry within the retina, many of the details remain unknown. Furthermore, we lack understanding of the path from vision to behaviour as soon as the signals leave the eye via the optic nerve. We want to bridge this gap by understanding the principles of neural processing from the retina to subcortical areas. We will study neural computations in the context of reflexive visual behaviour and retinal diseases.
The successful candidate will work in a team addressing these questions and will analyse data from extracellular neural recordings, Calcium imaging, and functional ultrasound imaging, and will build models of neural circuits. IOB offers a highly competitive interdisciplinary research environment with access to state-of-the-art recording technology and genetic tools. Via a collaboration with ETH Zürich, we will have the opportunity to be first users of newly developed in vivo extracellular recording technology with large electrode numbers.
- MSc degree or equivalent
- Background in Signal Processing, Data Science, Machine Learning, Computational Neuroscience, or related fields
- Strong mathematical and programming skills (e.g., Matlab, Python, C++)
- Enthusiasm to work with real neural recordings and to collaborate on establishing experimental setups
- Hands-on experience, preferably with in-vivo electrophysiology, is a plus
- Fluency in English (oral and written) is a requirement, fluency in German is an advantage
- Willingness to work in a highly interactive and interdisciplinary team of Postdocs and PhD students
- Academic excellence, a professional work attitude, a proactive and self-driven nature are expected
We offer you
- Highly competitive conditions in a dynamic and international research community in Basel
- IOB is an equal-opportunity employer with family-friendly work policies
- Initial appointment duration for 3 days with a possibility of extension
Application / Contact
We look forward to receiving your application as a single PDF file including a CV, a short motivation statement (half a page), transcripts of records, publications, and 2 letters of recommendation to email@example.com. Please indicate the position you are applying for by writing the reference number (IOB046) on the subject line.
For further information on this position, please contact Dr. Felix Franke at firstname.lastname@example.org (no application documents).
For general information, please visit our website www.iob.ch or contact Lavinia Brunold (email@example.com / +41 61 265 92 14).
Arbetsgivarens övriga annonser
Professor i statsvetenskap med inriktning mot politik och offentlig förvaltning
Umeå Universitet Umeå
Lektorer med inriktning mot förskolepedagogiskt arbete
Södertörns högskola Stockholm
Studentische Hilfsassistenz für den Bereich Mac Client Services, OS und Betrieb
University of Basel Basel
Førsteamanuensis i folkehelsevitenskap
Norges miljø- og biovitenskapelige universitet (NMBU)
Bioinformatician/Data Steward Metagenomics (0.8 FTE)
Utrecht University Holland