Faculty researcher position within AI/ Scientific Leader at Chalmers AI Research Centre
Information about Chalmers AI Research Centre
Chalmers AI Research Centre (CHAIR) was established in January 2019 with the aim of significantly increasing Chalmers’ expertise and excellence within AI in research, education and innovation. The Centre is a major strategic initiative, funded by the Chalmers University of Technology Foundation with 300 million SEK over ten years.
As a Chalmers-wide initiative, CHAIR promotes and covers AI-related activities across the university. The research supported by the Centre is performed by researchers from Chalmers, either internally, or in cooperation with external research partners.
The Centre goals are to:
● strengthen AI basic research and establish applied research activities in selected strategic areas,
● coordinate AI-related activities across Chalmers, and
● support educational activities in cooperation with Chalmers educational programs.
Complementary activities that go across these three goals are: AI ethics research and practice, focus on gender balance, and innovation activities.
Our research spans across three core dimensions:
● AI Foundations, AI theories and algorithms
● AI Enablers, AI-based systems and software
● Applied AI in Transport, Life Science and Health, and Automation and Internet of Things
A core principle of CHAIR is a strong relationship with industry and the public sector, and we are currently developing a consortium with selected core partners. In extension, CHAIR will establish a collaboration platform to allow for partnerships with various external actors having an interest in AI.
We are now strengthening our team and are searching for an experienced and ambitious AI researcher to take on the dual role of Scientific Leader for Chalmers AI Research Centre and researcher.
The role of Scientific Leader entails appointment to a permanent faculty position. You will be employed with the rank of associate professor, professor or research professor at Chalmers. Assessment of competence for the faculty position level will be weighed against your specific area of research.
Read more about Chalmers AI Research Centre at https://www.chalmers.se/chair
As the Scientific Leader you are responsible for developing and implementing a scientific vision and research agenda for the Centre, as well as organizing and supporting research-related activities at CHAIR.
Your key responsibilities will be:
● Developing and implementing CHAIR’s research agenda and scientific strategy
● Following up CHAIR research projects
● Leading the Industrial Advisory Board
● Having overall responsibility for scientific workshops and meetings
● Developing and following up internal and collaborative project calls
The Scientific Leader is a member of the CHAIR Management Group (CMG) and partakes in the shared responsibilities of the group.
As an AI researcher you will:
● lead selected research projects,
● supervise PhD students and postdoctoral researchers,
● apply for external research grants as principal investigator, and be involved in teaching activities.
The role as Scientific Leader covers the period 2020-2023, with a possibility for extension for the period 2024-2028.
Your time will be divided in the following way:
25 % as Scientific Leader of CHAIR,
50 % as a researcher/research leader in CHAIR AI projects, and
25 % for departmental duties in agreement with the host department.
Included in the position is a starting package with PhD student(s)/postdoc(s).
Your host department will be decided by your research background and preference.
Qualifications for each academic level can be found in Chalmers University of Technology’s appointment regulations for teaching and research faculty. Full professor: 6.1.1, Professor: 6.2.1, Associate professor: 6.3.1, Research professor: 7.2.1.
Key qualifications for the position:
● A strong scientific background in AI-related research
● A broad knowledge of the AI research landscape
● Experience of managing large collaborative research projects or similar leadership experience
We are looking for an internationally well-connected and innovative researcher who has proven to make significant and innovative contributions in the area of AI, evidenced by a proficient publication record in leading scientific journals.
You have experience in and enjoy leading and developing teams, and also have the ability to network and connect with different stakeholders, national and international.
Pedagogical competence on all levels shall be of good quality and well documented. You have completed courses on teaching and learning in higher education or other equivalent education (15 higher education credits) and completed courses in doctoral supervision or other equivalent education (3 higher education credits). Alternatively, fulfill this requirement during the first two years of the appointment.
In your application you should provide evidence of your good ability to supervise doctoral students, your good ability to collaborate with organizations outside of academia and your ability to obtain external funding.
Previous experience from working with equality and diversity questions is meritorious. Chalmers is working broadly and active with equality projects, for example the GENIE Initiative on gender equality for excellence.
Chalmers continuously strives to be an attractive employer. Equality and diversity are substantial foundations in all activities at Chalmers.
The application should be marked with Ref 20190277 and written in English. The application should be sent electronically and be attached as pdf-files, as described here:
CV (Please name the document as: CV, Family name, reference number) including:
• complete list of publications, (Divided into peer reviewed/non peer reviewed journal articles,conference contributions, etc)
Personal letter (Please name the document as: Personal letter, Family name, reference number)
1-3 pages where you:
• Introduce yourself
• Describe your previous research fields and main research results
• Describe your future goals and future research focus
The letter should also include
• your motivation for the announced position
• a vision for AI research at Chalmers in next five years
• a vision of your contribution as the Scientific leader
• possible international references, and references from Chalmers
For all faculty positions at Chalmers where teaching is included, a pedagogical portfolio is required to be submitted with the application.
• Please use the specified format for the Pedagogical Portfolio when you compile your pedagogical qualifications
• Certificates of courses completed in Supervising Research Students (3 higher education credits, HEC) as well as the Diploma of Higher Education (15 HEC of courses in teaching and learning in higher education), or other equivalent courses. Read more about Chalmers pedagogical courses here.
• Copies of your most relevant publications in full format (maximum of ten publications). It is a good idea to attach the files as a PDF or compress them into a Zip file.
• Copies of a maximum of ten other publications that substantiate your other qualifications (for example, educational publications and popular science articles)
Please use the button at the bottom of the page to reach the application form.
Application deadline: 1st November, 2019
For questions, please contact:
Ivica Crnkovic, Director CHAIR
Phone +46 31-772 60 76
*** Chalmers declines to consider all offers of further announcement publishing or other types of support for the recruiting process in connection with this position. ***
Chalmers University of Technology conducts research and education in engineering sciences, architecture, technology-related mathematical sciences, natural and nautical sciences, working in close collaboration with industry and society. The strategy for scientific excellence focuses on our eight Areas of Advance; Building Futures, Energy, Information & Communication Technology, Life Science, Materials Science, Nanoscience & Nanotechnology, Production and Transport. The aim is to make an active contribution to a sustainable future using the basic sciences as a foundation and innovation and entrepreneurship as the central driving forces. Chalmers has around 11,000 students and 3,000 employees. New knowledge and improved technology have characterised Chalmers since its foundation in 1829, completely in accordance with the will of William Chalmers and his motto: Avancez!
Arbetsgivarens övriga annonser
GRANTS FOR POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH IN THE UNITED STATES
Faculty researcher position within AI/ Scientific Leader at Chalmers AI Research Centre
Professor in Science education
Stockholm University Stockholm
Forskningsingenjör på 50% i LCA och hållbar konsumtion
Kungliga Tekniska högskolan Stockholm
Professor in Marine Sustainability
Technical University of Denmark (DTU) Lyngby-Taarbæk