Post-doctoral Fellow in Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence
We are looking for a Postdoctoral Fellow to support a new project aiming at improving early childhood development through an interactive mobile-phone based system. This project will be jointly implemented between three entities, the DS3Lab @ETH Zurich, the Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute, and Afinidata. The DS3Lab is based within the Department of Computer Science and led by Dr. Ce Zhang, whose current research focuses on building data systems to support machine learning and help facilitate other sciences. The Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute is based in Basel, and one of the leading global health institutions. With over 800 employees worldwide, the institute aims to make a sustainable contribution to the improvement of health locally and globally through research, education and service. Afinidata is a new startup based in Guatemala and the United States, focusing on developing intelligent solutions to support early childhood development globally.
The post-doctoral research fellow will work with local and international partners on a multi-year study testing a new Afinidata platform to support early childhood development in Peru. The goal of this postdoctoral position will be to help further develop the existing platform through the development and application of machine learning algorithms, with a particular focus on language processing and system-user interactions. The postdoc will be based at the ETH in Zürich, but is expected to meet up with the project teams in Basel, the US and Peru on a regular basis.
This is a highly competitive position. To best fit our team we expect the following qualifications:
- PhD in computer science or a related field from a leading research university
- Demonstrated interest in, and experience with, machine learning and artificial intelligence
- Ability to understand, implement and debug machine learning models. Must have the
mathematical and computational background to understand and efficiently implement
models that best approach a particular situation.
- Ability to perform the necessary SQL queries for your models or analyses.
- Proficiency in python and its standard tools for data science (pandas, numpy, scikit-learn, matplotlib, Jupyter notebooks, etc.) and an ability to learn additional libraries.
- Good communication skills, strong team spirit and ability to work with professionals in a multi-cultural context
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team on research programmes
Excellent command of English (speaking and writing) is a must. Given that the project will be implemented in Peru, basic knowledge of Spanish will also be necessary.
- Demonstrated ability to publish in peer-reviewed journals
- Prior knowledge on documenting and testing code for machine learning models, continuous integration, and scrum agile desirable but not required
Application / Contact
Please submit your application online via the link provided below.
We look forward to receiving your online application with:
- Motivation letter
- PhD course transcripts including grades
- Writing sample (published or unpublished manuscript)
- Names and contact information (email or phone) of 3 references.
Please note that we can only accept applications via our online recruiting tool: https://recruitingapp-2698.umantis.com/Jobs/All . Only complete applications will be considered.
Applications via e-mail or external recruiter will not be considered.
The deadline for applications is April 15th 2020.
For further information about the position, please visit our website https://www.swisstph.ch/en/ .
Arbetsgivarens övriga annonser
Professor i statsvetenskap med inriktning mot politik och offentlig förvaltning
Umeå Universitet Umeå
Lektorer med inriktning mot förskolepedagogiskt arbete
Södertörns högskola Stockholm
Studentische Hilfsassistenz für den Bereich Mac Client Services, OS und Betrieb
University of Basel Basel
Førsteamanuensis i folkehelsevitenskap
Norges miljø- og biovitenskapelige universitet (NMBU)
Bioinformatician/Data Steward Metagenomics (0.8 FTE)
Utrecht University Holland