Ph.D. Position in Personnel and Organizational Economics
The Professorship for Human Resources and Organization of the University of Basel, Faculty of Business and Economics, invites applications for one PhD-position with a 60% appointment. The position is part of the four-year SNSF Project on "The Swiss labour market in the digital transformation (SWISSLAB)".
The digital transformation causes substantial shifts in the tasks associated with specific jobs and the skills and competencies demanded by employers. Moreover, digitalization disrupts entire management systems, creating both new opportunities, and challenges for the formation and design of employment relationships. In SWISSLAB, we investigate how the digital transformation changes employment relationships and the matching of labour supply and demand in Switzerland. As part of our SWISSLAB research group, the PhD-Student will work on diverse research projects covering the main topics of SWISSLAB.
In general, our research group is dedicated to the researching of various topics within the broad field of personnel and organizational economics (POE). In recent research, we investigate the consequences of digitalization on firms and employees, the performance effects of worker autonomy, the benefits of employee involvement, stress at work, employees' motivation, and issues in organizational behavior. Our goal is to assess the extent to which modern personnel and organizational policies will affect employees, organizations, and organizational performance.
- Enrollment in the GSBE program (https://wwz.unibas.ch/de/graduateschool/)
- Research member of the SWISSLAB research group
- Individual research and collaboration in departmental research projects
- Assistance and participating in teaching
- Performing administrative tasks for the research group
- Master's degree in business and/or economics
- Academic and/or practical experience in POE or HRM
- Strong academic record (GPA of 5.0 or better is required for students from Swiss Universities, or equivalent for students from abroad)
- Excellent writing and communication skills in English
- German and/or French are a plus
- Willingness to work in a team
- Programming skills (e.g., R, Stata)
We offer you
With the Chair for Human Resources and Organization, the University of Basel makes a decisive contribution to the research and application of future-oriented personnel and organizational policies especially in the digital age. We offer the opportunity to conduct high-quality research in a dynamic, innovative scientific and international working environment, linked to an excellent international network and supported by the research group leader and staff. Moreover, we offer you to participate in the SWISSLAB project a Swiss-wide investigation on how the digital transformation is changing the future of the work.
Application / Contact
For further information, please contact Prof. Dr. Michael Beckmann, Professor for Human Resources and Organization at the Faculty of Business and Economics: https://wwz.unibas.ch/en/beckmann/
We look forward to receiving your complete online application.Your application should include:
- a cover letter including your research interests and your POE related projects
- your CV including references
- your diplomas with a transcript of grades from the master degree
- a sample of academic writing (e.g., master thesis, term paper, research paper)
Please note that applications via e-mail or mail will not be considered.
The application is open until April 30, 2020.
Applications will be considered with immediate effect. Apply
Arbetsgivarens övriga annonser
Assistant Professor in Entrepreneurship, SMEs or Strategic Management (tenure track, 100%)
University of St. Gallen Schweiz
Professor i statsvetenskap med inriktning mot politik och offentlig förvaltning
Umeå Universitet Umeå
12 Postdoktorer inom hållbar industri och samhälle, IRIS KTH
Kungliga Tekniska högskolan Stockholm
Doktorand i pedagogiskt arbete
Karlstads universitet Karlstad
Universitetslektor i internationella relationer med inriktning internationella institutioner
Stockholms universitet Stockholm