Full Professor in Statistics
Jönköping International Business School
Jönköping International Business School (JIBS) is one of four schools within Jönköping University. We offer an international and team-oriented workplace with competitive education programmes, across Bachelor, Master and Doctoral levels, as well as a thriving research environment and many opportunities for personal development. Our mission is to advance the theory and practice of business, with specific focus on entrepreneurship, ownership and renewal. Our guiding principles are: international at heart, entrepreneurial in mind and responsible in action. JIBS is double-accredited, by EQUIS and AACSB.
JIBS is recruiting one full professor in statistics with a focus on Econometrics to do research and teach on all levels from undergraduate up to the Ph.D. level.
OUR OFFER TO YOU
We offer you a stimulating workplace where you will be a vital part in building a strong statistics discipline at JIBS. At JIBS we work in an international environment and maintain both national and international networks. We have exciting ongoing statistics research with a strong focus toward the field of econometrics. You will have the opportunity to collaborate with colleagues within your own discipline as well as with the other disciplines at JIBS. We share research environment with the discipline of economics.
We have flexible working hours to enable our employees to combine a successful professional life with a full private life.
We are looking for a team player with good ability to cooperate with colleagues within your own discipline and between disciplines. You plan and execute your work in an independent manner and are flexible in your way of being. You find it stimulating to be able to contribute in different research projects and you have the ability to create and withhold national and international networks.
Furthermore you shall:
- have a Ph.D. degree in statistics;
- be academically skillful with respect to independent research initiatives, have been leading a research team, have the ability to plan and lead research and the ability to communicate research to the surrounding society;
- have a documented ability to obtain external funding for research and/or development projects in competition;
- demonstrate teaching expertise through pedagogic development work and/or course development;
- have taken a course in the supervision of doctoral students or acquired equivalent knowledge in some other way;
- demonstrate documented experience of having acted as principal supervisor or equivalent for doctoral students. The period of supervision should encompass a substantial part of the doctoral students’ studies;
- demonstrate a sound capacity for third-stream activities – nationally or internationally;
- demonstrate a sound ability to plan, organize and prioritize the work in an effective way adapted to the purpose and also have the ability to handle resources in a way that reflects the priorities of the operations and activities;
- demonstrate the ability to lead activities and staff, make decisions, assume responsibility and also motivate and provide others with the preconditions required to effectively achieve common objectives;
- have documented experience of academic leadership;
- have a track record of publishing in highly ranked international journals. A full professor is expected to have qualities as a research leader and it is important to demonstrate an ability to publish work in highly ranked international journals.
- a strong statistics research portfolio focused both on applied work and on method-development in econometrics;
- strong pedagogical merits and should verify equivalent of about 3 years of full-time teaching (equivalent to about 4500 clock hours). The quality of the teaching shall be verified with course evaluations and a statement from a Director of Studies, a Program director, Student representatives or the equivalent that clearly describes the applicant’s merits as an educator. Full professors should verify that they have documented extensive experience of teaching on all levels, and with documented good quality. Full professors should demonstrate that they have acquired pedagogical skills from pedagogical courses and continuously attended pedagogic seminars, workshops or the like. Full professors should demonstrate experience of having acted as main supervisor – or equivalent – during a period encompassing most part of the PhD process. Full professors should demonstrate extensive experience also in teaching and supervision on all levels. Full professors are expected to have documented experience in developing new teaching materials or text books, as well as creating innovative approaches to pedagogy. When applicable, the above should be accompanied by verifying documents signed by a Director of Studies, a Program director or the equivalent and include an overall evaluation of the duties carried out by the person in question;
- have a proven experience of teaching in statistics and econometrics.
Fluency in written and spoken English is a prerequisite and it is meritorious if you understand Swedish or have a willingness to learn Swedish.
Meritious for the appointment is
- a ph.D. thesis in statistics focused on method-development in econometrics;
- experience of being actively involved in research projects;
- since JIBS’ statistics discipline partly share the same research environment as other fields such as business administration or economics, it is a strong advantage if you have experienced from research in at least one of those fields;
- proven experience to teach statistics for non-statisticians at all levels;
- teaching in other JIBS-relevant areas than in statistics (for instance in mathematics, programming, economics, or business administration);
- experiences of advising students, analysts, or researchers (in statistics or in other disciplines);
- experience of supervision and/or teaching at doctoral programs in business administration, economics or informatics;
- high skills in programming languages;
- experience of the Swedish educational system;
- experience of working in an international environment;
- research productivity in relation to given research time will be a criterion of very high relevance.
In the selection process, we will put great value on your personal qualities to be able to match our needs in the discipline and for JIBS overall. This means that you should be willing and able to contribute to a dynamic academic environment, including being present at JIBS throughout the year. Therefore, it is not possible to commute over long distances for this position, so you must have a willingness to move to Jönköping.
The position is a full-time and permanent position. The starting date is negotiated.
For further inquiries about the position, please contact the Head of Discipline Pär Sjölander (email@example.com), or the Dean of JIBS Jerker Moodysson (firstname.lastname@example.org). Union representatives are Olof Brunninge (Saco-S) or Barbara Eklöf (ST). All contacts can be reached at phone number +46 36 10 10 00.
Your application should include
- a personal cover letter;
- a complete CV including attested credentials (including for instance a course certificate of a course in supervision of doctoral students, or equivalent);
- name and contact details for three references (including position, e-mail, phone number, and how you know each other);
- 10 relevant scientific publications, that both illustrate the ability to produce applied work and method-development articles in statistics with a focus on econometrics;
- both a summarizing and detailed description of your teaching experiences including examples of relevant course evaluations;
- more than one example of programming codes constructed by yourself;
- a text segment where you try to express your future research focus;
- a description of the applicant’s ‘future research focus’;
- an approximate date for when you can be available for this position.
Deadline for applying is November 18, 2018.
We kindly decline all sales and marketing contacts.
Anställningens omfattning Heltid
Tillträde As soon as possible
Antal lediga befattningar 1
Län Jönköpings län
Jerker Moodysson, +46 36-10 1000
Pär Sjölander, +46 36-10 1000
Olof Brunninge, Saco-S, +46 36-10 1000
Barbara Eklöf, ST, +46 36-10 1000
Sista ansökningsdag 2018-11-18